I get it. Long, luxuriously soft and swinging hair has been portrayed as the epitome of sexy hair for many years. Nothing is sexier than a woman who is able to flip her hair, this way and that, twist it into perfection, or have it hide her face in a mysterious half-eye curtain, right? Eh. No offense, long hair is pretty and all, but for my purposes, it wasn’t meant to be. I don’t consider myself a terribly high-maintenance woman and I don’t have the time (or the patience) to spend hours in front of a mirror fighting my thick (I know, not a bad problem to have) hair into some manageable state while also making sure it doesn’t look too “done”. So, the resolution I made was to cut off my hair into a pixie cut (a la Michelle Williams, my hair icon) and I couldn’t be happier. Now, initially, I was worried about not looking too feminine or being attractive to the opposite sex only to find that the reaction was actually the opposite. In fact, several of my guy friends have been overly fond of my shorter hair and have encouraged me to keep it short, and here’s why: short hair is sexy too and here, in this short (ha) list, are five reasons why.
**This article contains affiliate links, and we will be compensated for any purchase made by clicking on them. Thank you for supporting Miss Millennia Magazine!**
1. Confidence: The number one reason short hair is sexy is confidence. Once there is no hair to hide behind and your face is exposed to the scrutiny of the world (and your own mirror) you’ll be surprised to find that you become even more comfortable with yourself than you would have expected. Short hair shows your face off and allows you to play up your best facial features, with or without makeup (though I love a good cat-eye and/or bright lip with short hair), and leaves you feeling ready to take on the world. Unleash that confidence in you by showing your best facial features and be one of those sexy short hair women that stands out.
2. Bedhead: You know when you see a guy first thing in the morning and his hair looks like he just rolled out of bed and it’s kind of adorable? Well, that’s not just for the boys when you have a short haircut. Sure, we may feel like we’re a mess (because we’re girls) but in reality, our short-haired bedhead is a little sexy and easy to fix when necessary (you can borrow your man’s hair product). Win-win.
3. Exposed: For me (and a number of guy friends of mine) seeing a woman’s neck and shoulders exposed to their fullest potential is sexy and subtle. While long hair tends to cover these lovely attributes, short hair shows them off, making your neck look long and lean and your collarbone defined and touchable. And what guy doesn’t like something long, lean, or touchable on a woman? A short hairstyle can draw attention to a lot of men.
4. Stand Out: Ever been in a room full of girls and have a hard time telling them apart? (Unless, of course, they’re blonde or have a different hair color.) Well, I have, and it’s nice to know that if my friends – or a guy – are looking for me in a crowd, I’m easy to find. I stand out – and that feels pretty damn good.
5. Out of the Way: Whenever the wind blew or I moved to quickly or even when I put on chapstick, lipgloss, or lipstick, my long hair immediately found its way to my mouth and refused to leave. This, of course, resulted in a very unattractive battle to get the hair out of and away from my mouth and face in order to maintain some sort of dignity, only to have that battle throughout the day. Now, however, there is no need to worry about the wind or lip products because my hair is completely out of my face and away. No more thick hair and blow drying needed, this lovely no fuss no muss lifestyle with short hair also benefits your man, as he won’t have to fight your hair before, during, or after make-out sessions or a night in bed. Trust me, no one enjoys a face full of hair first thing in the morning.
In the end, I’m not going to knock long hair because it is a lovely look. However, I’m a short-haired girl – it’s my Life Cut – and I will never have hair longer than my shoulders (or possibly my earlobes) ever again and I love it. And, truth be told, thanks to all of the five reasons above, other people in my life love it too, guys or girls, because I feel great about it. So, even though your hair doesn’t blow seductively in the wind nor does it fall in waves on any skin, that doesn’t mean you’re not sexy. Rock that short hair, loud and proud, and feel good because you’re different…and saving a ton of money on shampoo and conditioner.