I am an avid traveler, and in this past year, I have taken several road trips. Being a woman, road trips are something in the past that I have tended to stay away from, especially on my own. Let’s face it, there are too many scary movies that start with a woman whose car breaks down. So to appease my insecurities about being a young woman on the road I equip myself with the most powerful weapon a girl can have – knowledge. I want to share a few tips with you guys today on some things you can do to prepare for a road trip and things that we as women should just know to stay safe while driving.
Join a roadside assistance club
This is something I learned was important when you are driving a car that just isn’t so new. But now I am thinking it is good for anyone with any car to have some type of roadside assistance. One popular roadside assistance club is AAA, but there are many out there to choose from. It may even be available with your car insurance so look into that, it will make a big difference if your car ever breaks down.
Know how to change a tire
Yes even in a new age of information, everyone should know how to change a tire. Keep a spare in the car with a jack. It is a pretty simple thing to do and even easier if you have good tools. So invest in them, it is worth it!
Own a car charger
I have had many a car trouble and at that moment my phones is about to die. How many problems I would’ve solved had I had a phone charger. This is very important too if you run your phone battery down in a heartbeat because you are on Facebook, emailing, texting, and talking all day on your phone.
Have an emergency kit
Now when I say emergency kit, there are some items that some people may or not include in their car. So just to be clear, I am going to list them out for you.
- Water: The body can last a while without food, but water is fundamental to survive.
- Food: Foods that last a long time are great such as granola bars, dried fruit, nuts, etc.
- Blanket: Especially important in places where you have some extreme cold weather. You never know how long you may to spend in your car in a blizzard, and staying warm is absolutely necessary.
- A flashlight: My Dad would always stress that I keep a flashlight in the car. And make sure it works! You never know what time of the day it will be if your car breaks down.
- A first aid kit: Because this is something that is always important to have.
- Road flares: Should come with any road kit you get.
- Tools: Even if Google shows you how to fix a problem, it does not help if you do not have the tools to fix it. Always good to keep these things with you.
- Jumper cables: So much easier for someone to give you a jump if you have the cables.
- Gallon of antifreeze: Always comes in handy.
- Oil: Seriously, the car sounds like it will explode if it is running low. Carry some with you just in case.
- Tire pressure gauge: I have an electronic one since I have trouble reading a basic one.
- Roll of paper towels: Makes it easy to check the oil and clean up any messes you may have.
Print your directions too
Yes we all have a GPS device but as a backup on a road trip take a map or print out your instructions online before you go. It is always good to be prepared in case of an emergency.
These are things that all people should be aware of, but especially women. If we make ourselves aware of these things and prepare for the worst we will not have to worry about reenacting those scenes in scary movies where the young lady’s car breaks down and she does not know what to do. Be prepared and stay safe.