Summer heat does wonders for the soul. After months of cold weather, all you want is a fresh breeze stirring your curtains and whipping your hair in an adorable fashion. Unfortunately, heat means sweat, and sweat means sticky foundation and runny mascara.
Here's some low-key summer beauty advice on how to keep your makeup fresh and long-lasting in the humid months of summer. Whether you live in a tropical climate year-round or get a few brief weeks of heat, adjust your makeup routine for whatever Mother Nature throws your way.
Buy Long-Lasting Products
Keeping your makeup fresh and long-lasting means choosing products with staying power and waterproof formulas. Creams with silica are best for absorbing excess oil and making the surface of your skin prime for laying blush and bronzer. Choose products with multiple benefits, especially those that offer sun protection, vitamins, and antioxidants. Always wear sunscreen! Give your skin a break from the heavy foundations of winter and spring for tinted moisturizers and BB creams that leave your skin refreshed, even after you take them off at night.
Let it Breathe
In the winter, you can get away with a heavier foundation and concealer combination because of the lack of moisture in the air. In the summer, however, it will be humid, and you’ll naturally be exposed to more moisture, so cut back on the amount of product you slather on.
- Let your skin breathe a little. Conceal only the areas you feel are necessary – under the eyes and blemishes, and around the mouth and nose, where most people have concentrated redness. Finish your base off with a matte powder, especially around your T-zone – your forehead, along the sides of your nose, and chin.
- Blend like a maniac! Flawless-looking skin means expertly blended makeup. And pay attention to your skin in the summer months. Do you notice your pores pumping out more oil? Use oil-free products to combat the issue, not add to it.
Don’t overdo it on the shimmer. You might be inclined to douse your face (and body) in glitter to get that perfect bronzed and sun-kissed radiance, but a little shimmer goes a long way. You don’t want to look like a disco ball. Your skin will look sparkly, in the best way possible if you strategically highlight.
- Apply a low-key shimmer product, cream or powder, to the tops of your cheekbones, the corners of your eyes, and along your collarbones. Tap the rest of the shimmer on your cupid’s bow for fuller lips. Compliment the look with minimal bronzer.
Go low-maintenance during the day, and optimal glamor for the night. Summer nights are the perfect time for experimenting with trendy makeup. Lighting is low, warm, and seductive, meaning you can take your smokey-eye to the next level.
- Blend inky blacks and charcoals with dusty golds to play off the colors of the sunset. Be bold with unexpected colors like violet, sparkly navy, even rust orange. Finish off the daring eyeshadow with black liner to keep everything looking sexy and smoldering.
- Bold lip colors are perfect for summer nights, too! Bright fuchsias and pinks go well with polished eye looks, so opt for a neutral eyeshadow and lots of mascara to compliment a vivid lip.
Summer makeup is supposed to be fun! Rosy cheeks and dewy skin are low-key and evoke the kind of cool, girl-surfer vibe that we all want. Remember to think of your skin when you’re working your magic in front of the mirror. Fresh, healthy skin means proper protection and just the right amount of cosmetics to give it an effortless glow. Summer beauty should be easy and radiant! Skip the heavy foundations and opt for something light and refreshing for your skin.