Confessions

The Only Advice You Need For A Bright Financial Future

By  |

Are you worried about your future finances? Well, worry no more, as I have some essential advice for you. Carry on reading to find out how you can have a bright financial future:

Use Credit Cards Correctly

Now, some of you might think this is bad advice. I know there’s a lot of negativity out there surrounding credit cards. Many people think they’re bad and can land people in debt. While that is certainly true, it’s important to make a key distinction. Incorrect use of credit cards can land you in debt. Correct use can have a positive effect on your finances.

You see, when you apply for a credit card, you’re given a credit limit. This is the max amount you can spend on that card every month. My first piece of advice is not to accept an incredibly high limit. When you’re given a high limit, you can be taken aback by the amount of money you can theoretically spend. So, you go out and spend as much as you can, as it’s within your limit. Then, the payment date comes around, and you can’t afford the payment in full. So, you pay the minimum fee, and the rest will gain interest. This is how you can land yourself in debt. The moment you start getting charged interest is the moment things can spiral out of control. To avoid this, pay off your bill in full each month. Requesting a low credit limit will make it easier to pay off your bill.

Credit cards are also good because you can get protection on most purchases you make with them. So, if you buy something and it stops working, you can get the money back through your credit card. Plus, you can earn points which can be transferred into vouchers for supermarkets and shops, etc. Using your credit card correctly can help you save money with these vouchers.

Credit: via Flickr

Plan For Emergencies

I think it’s fair to say that none of us can predict the future. We’d like to, but it’s just not possible! What this means is that we don’t know what lies ahead of us. Life can throw us a curveball at any given moment. Emergencies happen, and we might not be in a place to deal with them if we don’t prepare. This is particularly bad for our finances. Emergency situations can sometimes be very costly, and leave you in a bleak place.

However, there is a way to counter this. All you have to do is plan for emergencies by setting money aside in an emergency fund. This is different than saving money, as you absolutely won’t touch this money unless there’s an emergency. To go along with this, you should create an emergency budget too. This determines how you’ll spend your emergency fund. By doing these two things, you take a step forward to being more financially stable. If an emergency hits you, you’re now in a position to ensure your finances don’t take a devastating hit.

financial future for retirement

Credit: via Flickr

Think About Your Retirement Years

We all know that everyone must retire at some point. Your days of working come to a close, as does your regular source of income. This is where a lot of people fear for their finances, as they don’t know where the money will come from. But, preparing for your retirement years is easier than you might think.

To begin, you should get a pension given to you by the government. Likewise, your employers should offer retirement plans for their staff too. Already, you have two sources of income. But, what you should do is also take out a private pension. Do this as early as possible, as you can end up with more money in your pension pot. For me, this is something you should do as soon as you enter full-time employment. Also, make big contributions to your work pension. Everything you contribute will be matched by your employers. Obviously, don’t go overboard and contribute too much to the point where you don’t have enough money to live. Preparing for retirement helps you feel safe, but that shouldn’t be at the expense of your present. You know you’ll have money when you retire, which gives you one less thing to worry about.

And, so concludes my financial advice. I would like to finish by mentioning some generic advice I didn’t want to go over in too much detail. Along with these tips, you need to save your money and create budgets. This helps you manage your finances better, and you’ll prevent wasteful spending. As a result, you’ll pave the way for a bright financial future!

the-only-advice-you-need-for-a-bright-financial-future

How do you like our Magazine?
Sign up for our weekly newsletter "The Millennial Minute" to receive our FREE ebook On Getting Your First Job Out of College!

18 Comments

1. Chloe

November 10, 2016 at 3:48 pm

Planning for emergencies is something that I’ve definitely gotten more in to now that I have a child. You never know when something in your car might need repairing! Chloe

2. Melanie Smith

November 10, 2016 at 4:36 pm

That is so true! It is all we need to know. Thank you for sharing!

3. Heather - Heartfully Heather

November 10, 2016 at 5:56 pm

Credit cards are great to build credit, but if at all possible, don’t keep a balance on them. You end up paying more for that thing you bought down the road. Pay it off immediately and stick to a spending budget. Its necessary to build credit if you want to drive cars and own homes, but you don’t have to do that while living in debt.

4. Cheryl F

November 10, 2016 at 6:31 pm

It’s really important to save for emergencies. As much as possible I say NO to credit card offers. I’ll just buy what I can afford or just save first before buying anything. Needs over wants.

5. tara pittman

November 10, 2016 at 9:13 pm

I have an emergency fund and used credit wisely. I do need to start a retirement plan.

6. Alicia Taylor

November 10, 2016 at 9:25 pm

We have a credit card for emergencies. We have an HSA for medical emergencies. Our credit card has points redeemable for cash and other benefits. Anything we put on it, we pay off at the end of the month.

7. Amber

November 10, 2016 at 9:51 pm

This is great and I so agree! We only use credit cards if we know we can pay them off quickly. We use the rewards points for gift cards.

8. PrimeBeauty

November 10, 2016 at 10:30 pm

Credit cards are great tools if you use them wisely. The best ones offer you points and incentives to say money, while also protecting you from fraud.

9. Victoria

November 11, 2016 at 1:32 am

This guides is what I really need right now! glad ive found this!

10. Wren

November 11, 2016 at 8:55 am

These are great tips! Was not until I was late 20s and decided I finally needed to make a financial change. I hope others will figure it out sooner than I did!

11. mail4rosey

November 11, 2016 at 2:31 pm

Those high limits are tempting. It’s def. a good idea to not charge them up though!

12. Nazma

November 11, 2016 at 3:39 pm

This is a very good Post . very informative so thanx for sharing

13. Wren

November 11, 2016 at 4:33 pm

Thank you for sharing this information it is hard to save money sometimes but with this information it will make it easier to do.

14. Erin Kennedy

November 11, 2016 at 4:37 pm

Oh my gosh. you hit the nail on the head. I don’t think that people in their 20s or 30s really know how important each of your points are. Money for now, and money for retirement. Thanks for sharing.

15. Karlyn Cruz

November 11, 2016 at 7:01 pm

I’ve never tried to used some credit cards, I think that’s better. Recently, I’ve started to plan our emergencies we have a lot of ATM cards and they’re different and separated savings.

16. Christine Cox

November 11, 2016 at 9:12 pm

I have an emergency fund that I don’t dare touch and that we add to every year. I like having that available to us should something happen.

17. Ourfamilyworld

November 11, 2016 at 9:45 pm

Oh, this is so nice to read. Very helpful, especially the funds for emergency!

18. Kelly Reci

November 11, 2016 at 9:46 pm

Never thought of some of these advice. I should really make our financial manage better.