facebook_pixel

Christmas Holiday Shopping

How to Avoid the Holiday Spending Binge

By  |

I know it’s only October but can we talk about Christmas for a minute?

So, hi. I am that person that starts counting down to Christmas by like… July. I know, I know, SO ANNOYING, right? But it’s cool, guys. The Christmas spirit sustains me through your side-eye.

bai

I start decorating November 1st every year.

My (two) tree(s) is up for at least a month.

Bronner’s (the world’s largest Christmas store) is legit one of my favourite places on earth.

My satellite radio is tuned to the “all Christmas all the time” channels from the day they go on air to the day they go off. That’s like two straight months of carols.

I’m that person.

jingle

My love of everything Christmas has one caveat, and that is the cost.

I am also that person who gives gifts to everyone (inclusive of my mailman and garbage man, and thus, my mail never gets delivered to the wrong house and my garbage bins are always upright – win), so it gets pricey.

In my earlier gift giving years, I had this mental block when it came to gift giving: “if I’m buying something for someone else, it can’t affect my budget”. Which makes zero sense, I know. I had no guilt or second thoughts about holiday spending, so long as it was for someone else.

These days I know better.

If you’ve ever been on Pinterest around the holidays, you’ve probably seen Christmas budgeting plans like this one:

ChristmasSavings

I don’t necessarily agree with the one above (why put the biggest amount in the pot in December?) but the principle is a good one – start saving for Christmas before Christmas.

I mean, really.

Christmas doesn’t surprise us every year, it’s fairly consistent, so why do so many people end up struggling financially or even going into debt for it?

There’s no one right way to save for Christmas, but there are wrong ways (i.e. not doing it).

Set Aside Savings

My strategy is to have savings specifically allocated towards gifts. Each month, I throw money into my “gifts” pot. It’s not exclusively for Christmas – all gifts for all occasions come out of it – but it largely gets emptied in anticipation of December and built back up over the year.

In January, I sit down with my husband and list out all the occasions that will require a gift and we set a budget for each one. Add it up, plus a buffer for new friends and unexpected occasions, and that’s our gift savings goal for the year.

Keep Lists & Shop Sales

I also keep a running Excel sheet where I record gift ideas whenever they pop up. In July, my sister-in-law mentioned she’s been trying to find a good pair of headphones – on the list it goes.

This means I have time to watch for sales. Which leads me to my next holiday spending secret:

Boxing Day sales (aka “Day After Christmas sales”).

secret

That’s the perfect time to buy those sort of generic (you know what I mean) gifts you get for acquaintances. I typically buy gifts for neighbours, the mailman, and those non-friend-but-gift-required coworkers between Christmas and New Years, and store them until the next Christmas. 75% off? Yes please.

So far, I’ve never actually been scooped by somebody buying for themselves what I planned to get them in the time between my buying it and Christmas actually coming. But if that’s the case, then I can come up with something new for those one or two people in October or November.

Set Limits

Another way is to set a dollar limit with family members.

Last year, between my husband, me, our siblings and our parents, we had four home purchases and an engagement, so we knew we’d all benefit from avoiding any overspending at the holidays.

We set a gift-value limit of $50, and the result was that everyone’s wallet was happier. What surprised us was that the gifts seemed to be even more thoughtful and meaningful, because we had to really think about what the person would truly enjoy rather than thinking of it in terms of financial value, like “well it’s worth $150, they’ll love it”.

More holiday spending strategies! –>  Andrew, at Family Money Plan, recently suggested two equally awesome methods that you can avoid the bill shock this Christmas.

Any way you do it, saving for the holidays will mean you’ll be able to spend less time worrying about January’s bills and more time watching Jingle All the Way and singing along with Michael Buble’s Christmas album. Who doesn’t want that.

turboman

Invibed is an online destination that makes personal finance relevant, accessible and entertaining to millennials. Follow Invibed on Facebook and Instagram.

how-to-avoid-the-holiday-spending-binge

How do you like our Magazine?
Sign up for our weekly newsletter "The Millennial Minute" to receive our FREE ebook On Getting Your First Job Out of College!

17 Comments

1. Stephanay Jnote

November 1, 2016 at 6:37 am

Wow! This is the first year I have the littlest budget for Christmas being unemployed after getting layed off from work. But, Christmas is my favorite holiday. Funny that Christmas is trending on Twitter today. First day of November equals the holiday season I guess!

2. Jacqui Stewart

November 1, 2016 at 8:35 am

My family does a secret santa gift exchange for the adults starting at 18. We focus on gift giving for the kids. But, I tend to shop through out the year so it doesn’t hit me all at once!

3. Paula

November 1, 2016 at 9:55 am

Thanks for the great tips! I love the holidays, but I hate the expense that goes along with them.

4. Doria Miyata Murphy

November 1, 2016 at 9:57 am

Oh my gosh, I LOVE the holidays! These are all great tips because it’s super easy to over-spend. We set budgets for each person/family we give to and that definitely helps, otherwise I’d go completely overboard. 😉

5. Jeanette

November 1, 2016 at 11:14 am

I think the most important thing is that you set a budget and keep with it. Our family we try not to overspend, I will admit that sometimes it is hard. Find a gift that actually is something they really want then just a trinket. Trust me they’ll like it a lot better than all the money you spent on something they really don’t want.

• Pam W

November 1, 2016 at 12:39 pm

Yes, setting a budget is really important. They can be so hard to stick to but you don’t want to overspend.

6. Brandy

November 1, 2016 at 3:01 pm

These are great tips to avoid the holiday spending binge. Glad you shared these, I do think a budget is the most important part of making sure you don’t spend too much money.

7. Jenn @ EngineerMommy

November 1, 2016 at 3:59 pm

This is good advice on how to avoid spending too much during the holidays. I always try to stick to a budget and be reasonable with my purchases.

8. Stephen Parry

November 1, 2016 at 7:02 pm

This is so handy, I tend ot always go a bit crazy on the christmas shopping – then I forgot how much i spent and then go on a binge again!

9. Chantal Bernard

November 1, 2016 at 11:11 pm

A friend and I were just talking about Christmas saving/spending techniques. I will have to make sure that I share this post with her.

10. Gwen Mulholland

November 2, 2016 at 12:13 am

I love Bronners also, it is my favorite place to just wander around and take in Christmas. These are great tips and over the years, I have cut spending way down. This year will be the lowest costing Christmas and I am happy.

11. Rebecca Swenor

November 2, 2016 at 12:36 am

These are great tips for avoiding holiday spending binges. I love the idea of saving a little each month. In our family we all draw names and get a gift for the name we draw so everyone gets a gift. We do set a limit of $20- $30 a gift. Thanks for sharing the tips.

12. Angela Harris

November 2, 2016 at 10:36 am

These are wonderful tips. I still don’t know if I could stick to them. I am terrible and buy, buy , buy. I love Christmas so much.

13. Jeanine @ sixtimemommy.com

November 2, 2016 at 5:47 pm

Such great tips! I am really dreading christmas this year. seems everytime i want to go and save for gifts, or start buying something else comes up and it never happens. I’d like to skip it this year!

14. Amanda Love

November 3, 2016 at 1:25 am

I love Christmas too, but probably a little less. I do like your energy and dedication towards the said holiday though. I think saving for Christmas ahead of time is a great idea and it’s definitely going to make you feel less pressured when it’s time for shopping.

15. Ali

November 3, 2016 at 4:25 am

I am that person too! I definitely start saving for the next Christmas January 1 of the next year. I have never heard of Bronners but I must find one.

16. Kate Kelly

November 3, 2016 at 5:59 pm

Great tips! I meant to start the 52 week savings tip in January, only doing it backwards starting with $52 and decreasing as it gets closer to Christmas but then my husband lost his job and that went out the window!